Printed from the Blue Letter Bible
Mary Elizabeth Baxter
Mary Elizabeth Foster Baxter (1837-1926) was born and raised in Worcestershire England. At the age of twenty–one she responded to a clear presentation of the gospel and shortly thereafter became involved in evangelistic ministry. She was married to Michael P. Baxter in 1868 and together they raised one son, Michael Paget Baxter. England and much of Europe were influenced for the cause of Christ, through the Baxter’s selfless service. They eventually founded Bethshan House, a refuge for the sick of body and soul. Mary and her husband were mentored by spiritual leaders like Andrew Murray and D. L. Moody, to name a few.
Among Mary Baxter’s many talents was a profound love of writing. She held the position co–editor of the “Christian Herald” in London and authored many books, including The Women in the Word, as well as articles, and Bible studies. In response to the command to be “a witness…unto the ends of the earth,” Mary took a world tour with her pastor and his wife. During this journey she suffered from a violent form of neuralgia, which Mary recognized as God’s way of bringing about humility and an end to her self–will. Mrs. Baxter wanted her life’s testimony to be summed up by the statement: “God is faithful.”
Available Text Commentaries
- The Women in the Word
- The Women in the Word
- The Women in the Word—Front Matter
- Eve—Genesis 2:18
- Sarah. Part 1—Hebrews 11:2
- Sarah. Part 2—Hebrews 11:2
- Hagar—Genesis 16:13
- Rebekah. Part 1—Genesis 24.
- Rebekah. Part 2—Genesis 27.
- Leah and Rachel—Genesis 29.
- Jochebed, the Mother of Moses—Exd 1; and 2.
- Zipporah, the Wife of Moses—Exodus 4:18-26
- Miriam, The Prophetess—Numbers 12.
- Rahab—Joshua 2.
- Deborah—Judges 4.
- Deborah’s Song—Judges 5.
- Manoah’s Wife—Judges 13.
- Naomi and Ruth. Part 1—Ruth 1.
- Naomi and Ruth. Part 2—Ruth 1.
- Hannah—1 Samuel 1.
- Hannah’s Song—1 Samuel 2.
- Michal, Saul’s Daughter—1 Samuel 18:20-30
- Abigail—1 Samuel 25.
- Bathsheba—2 Samuel 11. and 12.
- The Wife of Jeroboam—1 Kings 14.
- Jezebel—1 Kings 16, 19 and 21.
- Athaliah—2 Chronicles 21.
- Huldah, The Prophetess—2 Chronicles 34:14-33
- Esther—Esther 4 to 7.
- Job's Wife—Job 2:9-10
- Belshazzar’s Queen Mother—Daniel 5.
- Elizabeth—Luke 1.
- Mary, the Mother of Jesus—Luke 1:26-38
- Mary’s Song of Praise—Luke 1:39-56
- Mary and the Child Jesus. Part 1—Luke 2:1-20 & Matthew 2.
- Mary and the Child Jesus. Part 2—Luke 2:21-52
- Mary and the Marriage of Cana—John 2.
- Anna, the Prophetess—Luke 2:36-38
- Widow of Nain—Luke 7:11-25
- The Woman which was a Sinner—Luke 7:30-50
- Ministering Women—Luke 8:2-3
- The Woman of Samaria. Part 1—John 4:1-42
- The Woman of Samaria. Part 2—John 4:1-42
- The Woman of Samaria. Part 3—John 4:1-42
- The Syrophenician Woman—Matthew 15:21-28
- Martha, the Bustling Woman—Luke 10:28-42
- The Sisters’ Faith Tried—John 11:1-44
- Mary Anointing Jesus—John 12:1-8
- Sapphira—Acts 5:1-10
- Dorcas—Acts 9:36-43
- Lydia—Acts 16:12-15, 40
- Prophesying Women—Acts 21:7-9
- Priscilla—Acts 18.
- Euodias and Syntyche—Philippians 4:2-3
- Paul’s Helpers—Romans 16.
- The Elect Lady—2 John