"THE NAME OF JESUS"
Intro: Life is filled with pressures. There are forces that assault us. Sooner or later we are forced to reach out beyond ourselves.
I. SOME OF THESE FORCES THAT FACE US.
A. The Spirit forces; "We wrestle not against flesh and blood."
1. It's hard to fight something you can't see.
2. You feel out of sorts and you don't know why.
d. Anxious, worried.
e. Each of these will lead to doubt.
B. The interpersonal relationships.
1. Strong disagreement with your spouse.
a. Maybe they have left you, and your life was built around them.
1. What am I going to do?
2. Where shall I go?
3. How will I survive?
b. The deeper you have loved them, the more devastating the experience can be.
2. Maybe you are on different wave lengths than your child.
a. Constant tension.
b. Meal times have become disasters.
3. It could be at work. Someone has it in for you.
a. They try to make you look bad.
b. They call attention and laugh at your mistakes.
C. Life itself.
1. Why do the ungodly prosper?
a. Some seem to get along quite well without God.
2. Why is there suffering?
3. Why must death come to someone I loved so deeply?
D. Where can we turn? The name "Jehovah."
II. HOW MEN IN THE PAST HAVE RUN INTO THAT NAME.
A. Abraham - Jehovah Jireh - The Lord sees.
B. Moses, Battle against Amalikites - Jehovah Nissi.
C. Gideon - Jehovah - Shalom - The Lord our peace.
D. Jeremiah - Jehovah Tsidkenu - Our righteousness.
E. Ezekiel - Jehovah Shammah - The Lord is there.
III. THE NAME OF JESUS.
A. So names by the angel Gabriel when he announced to Mary that she was the one favored by God to be the human instrument.
1. Later confirmed to Joseph when he was in doubt as to what to do. "Call His name JESUS for He shall save His people from their sin."
B. The name Jesus is the Greek of the Hebrew name Jehoshua (Numbers 13:16
). Later contracted to Joshua.
C. The name means, The Lord is our Savior.
D. This name is above all names.
E. This name is a strong tower, the righteous run into it and are safe.
1. How often has this name brought me: