Intro: Jesus has just pronounced woe upon those cities blind to Him. He then prayed to the Father. Then, turning back to the people He said, "The Father has put all things in My hands, yet no man understands Me, but the Father does, no one understands the Father but Me, and those I reveal Him to come unto Me, I will give you rest." What rest? The true rest. All your restlessness is godlessness. If you knew God, your restlessness would cease. "Come unto Me;" get the center of your life right.
I. THERE ARE TWO CLASSES OF PEOPLE "THAT LABOR AND ARE HEAVY LADEN..." "MY YOKE IS EASY, MY BURDEN IS LIGHT."
A. Note contrasts.
1. You that labor.
My yoke is easy.
2. Heavy laden.
My burden is light.
B. The common factor is the burden all men carry.
1. Some carry a heavy burden.
2. Some carry a light burden.
3. The burden of the responsibility of life.
C. What is the burden of responsibility of life?
1. It is your master passion, your concept of life that dominates you, drives you, determines your course.
2. Every man possesses one.
a. Many have never named it.
b. I want you to discover it.
c. What is the deepest thing in your life?
d. In back of your life, their is a motive, a reason, a goal, ambition, a master passion that drives you.
D. When Jesus said His burden was light, what was the master passion of His life?
1. What are His first recorded words? "Didn't you know I must be about My Father's business?"
a. The must, not ought, should.
2. Throughout His ministry we hear, "I came not to do My own will...I do all those things that please Him." "I have come to do Thy will."
"I have accomplished the work You gave Me to do," "It is finished."
3. He said of His burden, "It's light."
a. Some of you have been saying, "I really would like to be a Christian, but it's too heavy."
4. Jesus is saying it is a light burden to do the will of God.
a. Easier to please God than man.
II. WHAT IS THE BURDEN YOU ARE CARRYING?
A. Have you named it yet?
1. Money, I want nice things.
2. My desire is fame, I want to be known.
4. I have a great passion for ease and quietness, just to be left alone.
B. None of these are the true master passions.
1. You have not gone deep enough yet.
2. There is something yet deeper.
a. Who do you want money for?
b. Who do you want fame for?
3. Myself! You are sitting on the throne of your life.
4. Only two burdens in life. God or self.
a. You are living a God-centered life or a self-centered life.
5. If you are living a self-centered life, your burden is heavy.
a. Can you find a self-satisfied man? Get into his inner life. He is most uneasy that someone will not think of him as he wants them to think.
C. Jesus said, "Come unto Me."