Intro: Jesus comes to a burdened society and does not offer pity, but power.
I. THERE IS SOMETHING THAT IS COMMON TO ALL, A BURDEN.
A. No one lives without it.
1. Not talking about sorrow, care.
2. GaIatians. "Bear ye one another's burdens."
"Let every man bear his own burden."
"Bapos" - "potion" responsibility.
B. Your burden is that master passion of your life that shapes & controls your decisions.
1. That ideal by which you live.
C. What is the master passion of your life? What are you living for?
1. Money, pleasure, fame, ease.
2. You have not gone deep enough.
a. Why do you want money? Pleasure for who?
b. This is not your burden but yoke.
c. The burden is SELF.
D. There are only two burdens that dominate.
1. God's will - God centered.
2. Self will - self centered.
E. Jesus contrasts these two burdens.
1. Labor & heavy laden.
2. Easy light.
3. Easier to satisfy God than self.
4. Easier to please God than man.
II. JESUS CALLS US FROM BURDEN OF SELF "COME UNTO ME..."
A. How can I know God? "Come unto Me."
B. How can I be delivered from self? "Come."
C. The gospel is so simple "Come unto Me."
1. "I would like to be a Christian but its too hard" "My yoke is easy."
2. That sounds too simple I don't see how it works.
a. I don't either, but it does.
b. How can you ever know unless you try?
D. "I will give you rest."
1. First consciousness of new life.
2. The secret of rest is knowing God.
a. Godlessness is restlessness.
E. "Is that all there is to It?" No.
III. "TAKE MY YOKE UPON YOU."
A. The instrument placed on ox so he could pull plow.
1. Submitting to God's will for your life.
2. God has a work for you.
3. This was the essential mark of Jesus' life.
He lived not for self but for God.
a. "Wist yet not that I would be about My Father's business?"
b. "I came not to do My will, but the will..."
c. "Not my will but Thy will..."
d. "It is finished."
B. God wants to take the reins of your life today.
IV. "LEARN OF ME."
A. Would you know the Father? Learn of Me.
1. "He that hath seen Me hath seen the Father."
B. Growth requires food.
1. The Word of God is spiritual food.
C. God has given all you need for rich full life.