"THE TOUCH OF FAITH"
Intro: "The popularity of Jesus has grown to the extent that He now draws a crowd. "Many people followed Him and thronged Him."
I. THE TWO CASES.
A. Jairus' only little girl about twelve years old.
1. For twelve years she had brought light and sunshine into their home.
2. Now she is dying, the light is flickering.
a. Only one hope left -- Jesus.
b. Against prejudice He came.
1. He was a ruler of the synagogue there in Capernaum.
2. On a recent Sabbath, Jesus had healed a withered hand.
3. When you are desperate enough, you will do almost anything.
3. Though there was a great crowd he got through it to Jesus.
B. The woman who had been hemorrhaging for twelve years.
1. Under law of Moses, she was unclean.
a. Her husband could not touch her.
b. She could not enter the place of public worship.
c. Whatever she touched became unclean.
2. She had been living in the shadows for 12 years.
3. She made her way through the crowd.
a. Must have been harder for her.
b. Her condition causes extreme body weakness.
1. Great effort just to get out of bed.
2. Every movement an effort.
c. She had only one hope -- to get to Jesus.
II. THE TOUCH OF FAITH, VS. 27.
A. Word for touch -- clasped, grabbed.
B. The moment she touched, she was healed.
1. This touching Jesus had become a common practice by those with plagues -- 3:10.
2. Jesus stopped to call attention to this one.
C. Who touched My clothes?
1. The disciples said, "What do you mean, who touched Me?"
a. They were being jostled by the press of people.
b. The crowds were pressing Jesus.
c. One woman touched Him.
1. Curiosity may cause you to press Him.
2. Faith will lead you to touch Him.
D. Point of contact to release faith.
1. Verse 34, "Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole, go in peace..."
2. She had established a point to release faith, verse 28.
III. A NECESSARY DELAY.
A. Jairus probably thought it unnecessary.
1. Jesus knew the sad news being borne to Him this very moment, verse 35.
2. "Be not afraid, only believe."
a. You have just seen what the touch of faith can do.
B. Jesus spoke in Aramaic, "Talitha cumi", probably the household language.
1. "Little lamb, arise."
C. He brought her back into a world of strife and pain, why?
1. For her parents sake
2. His compassion for their grief.