"THE RICH YOUNG RULER"
I. THE QUALITIES OF THIS YOUNG MAN.
A. A person of fine temperament.
1. He had a clean record.
a. Never let anyone, prophet, preacher tell you value in pollution.
b. Jesus quoted to him six of the commandments.
c. He replied he had kept these from his youth.
1. Empty boast?
2. "And Jesus looked upon him and loved him."
B. A man of true aspiration.
1. The question with which he comes to Christ "Good master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life."
a. What does he mean by "eternal life."
1. Not just continuation of life.
2. Age abiding life.
b. He was conscious of his lack of this life.
1. All his wealth could not purchase it.
2. In his position he did not attain it.
3. He was conscious of the infinite but could not grasp it.
c. This cry of life is the cry of the lost offspring of God after Father God.
1. He was seeking God, seeking life.
d. He was a man of fine temperament, clean record, true aspiration yet Christ said "One thing thou lackest."
II. WHAT DID CHRIST MEAN, "WHAT DID HE LACK"?
A. Some say he lacked poverty.
1. Nothing of the kind.
2. Story has no application to most of us.
B. What is Jesus true word to this man?
1. "One thing thou lackest... come follow me."
2. What he lacked was following Christ.
3. He lacked a center of authority, a dominating principle.
a. Roman Centurion
b. No man can reign who does not serve. "I also am a man under authority, under myself soldiers" True philosophy of life all of us have to be governed by a King eternal and superior to ourselves.
4. Jesus earlier question "Why callest thou me good?" "None is good save one, even God."
a. Some say Christ disclaiming deity.
b. He was either saying I am not good or "I am God." Fine is your temperament - clean is your record, good are your aspirations, you need to find your King who is God "Follow Me."
5. How is this man to follow Him? Sell.
III. WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS MAN?
A. Story ends with sadness yet full of suggestiveness.
1. He went away sad because he had great possessions.
2. Man isn't sad because he has great possessions when you come face to face with life.
B. One of two things happened.
You say story is old - it is fresh as Easter You say
story is Eastern - it is Western You say story happened
long ago - happened tonight.
In your soul sob after life.
He is saying Go...come follow Me.